Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pop Culture Phenomenon

What is a (Pop Culture Phenomenon) to you? A movie, a television show, or even a novelty item? There have been so many in our lifetime we wouldn't be able to touch on them all, so we'll hit on just a few of our faves.

Newest to hit (Total Phenom) levels of fame would have to be "The Walking Dead". It's hit the small screen with an amazing instant following of both Zombie, and horror lovers as well as those who are drawn to the morbid attraction of an end of civilization scenario. There's a little bit of something for everyone! They've pulled out all the stops, and tried to make it as real as can be. Definitely one of my faves, and I'm not much into horror. Another one of my faves would be the cult classic "Rocky Horror". This is an extreme opposite which also developed audience participation on different levels which helped propel it to its (Total Phenom) level. I know I attended more times than I could count!

In the 1950's it was "Poodle Skirts" and "Sock Hops", in the 1980's it was "Pogs" and "Cabbage Patch Kids" to the recent "Angry Birds" and "Zombie" craze, pop culture can be defined as anything memorable. Some may call these things "Fads", but we all know (although might not like to admit) these things have impacted us in some way. From spending hours trying "just one more time" to solve the Rubiks Cube, to making sure that pig doesn't get the better of us.
So, whatever "Fad" is happening now, enjoy it, because in a few years, or even months, something else will be making its way into "Pop Culture".
Its amazing what can just take off without any warning and become such a hit. I'd love to hear what your views are on these amazing pop culture phenoms, as well as any others that you'd like to share.

I'd like to thank my wife Dawn for co-writing this post with me. Thank you Honey!

If you don't already, you can Follow me on Twitter @gen22y, & Dawn @dawnydoolittle
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gene,
    I'd love it if my books became the next pop culture (ha ha). Don't worry I won't ruin your nice blog with my advertising. Interesting post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know they made pink sparkly pogs back in the day? I'm just sayin. :-D

    ReplyDelete